Competition: State aid
All citizens, organisations, companies, and public authorities are welcome to contribute to this consultation.
Period of consultation
From 21.05.2021 to 16.07.2021 (8 weeks later)
Reason why the consultation period is less than 12 weeks
Need for an accelerated revision of the Guidelines on State aid to promote risk finance investments to ensure a timely adoption as part of measures undertaken taken in response to the challenges in achieving the objectives of the Green Deal and Digital transformation.
Objective of the consultation
The evaluation of the Risk Finance Guidelines as part of the State aid Fitness Check found that the current provisions are overall fit for purpose, and remain needed. At the same time, the evaluation also showed the need to further simplify and clarify the rules. The proposed revisions therefore consist in:
- Reordering the existing provisions to increase readability and ease of application. Most notably, this includes the consolidation of existing requirements for the ex ante assessment.
- Further clarifying the specific content and level of evidence needed to demonstrate a specific market failure or another relevant obstacle in access to finance. Most importantly, the requirement to quantify the funding gap will only remain in place for schemes with the largest amounts of aid for individual beneficiaries.
- Focusing the Guidelines on compatibility of State aid to avoid overlaps with the Notice on the Notion of Aid.
- Streamlining existing formulations and aligning definitions to increase consistency with the General Block Exemption Regulation.
How to submit your contribution
We welcome contributions from citizens, organisations, companies and public authorities.
- If you are answering this consultation as a citizen, please click here to submit your contribution.
- If you are answering this consultation on behalf of an organisation, please click here to submit your contribution.
- If you are answering this consultation as a company, please click here to submit your contribution.
- If you are answering this consultation on behalf of a public authority, please click here to submit your contribution.
Received contributions will be published on this webpage. Only submissions that are clearly marked "CONFIDENTIAL" (in English, in capital letters) will be treated as such and not published. In that case, please also provide a non-confidential version of your reply. It is important to read the privacy statement attached to this consultation for information on how your personal data and contribution will be dealt with.
We would appreciate receiving submissions electronically, as attachments to emails in .doc or .pdf format. Please see for contact details below.
Please note that we cannot guarantee to take account of replies received after the deadline.
Please note that the consultation will be launched based on the English version of the text. In case of doubt, the English version of the text prevails.
Draft of revised Guidelines on State aid to promote risk finance investments: EN, others languages
Please note that the background note is available in all EU languages. These are non-official translations. In case of doubt, the English version prevails.
- Background note accompanying the consultation on the draft revised Guidelines on State aid to promote risk finance investments: EN, other languages
- Press release
Directorate-General for Competition – Unit D5
Please always indicate the reference number in your correspondence: HT.5886
Directorate-General for Competition, Unit D5
State aid Registry
1049 Bruxelles /Brussel
Protection of personal data