The Commission adopted its original Guidelines on State aid for rescuing and restructuring firms in difficulty in 1994. In 1997, the Commission added specific rules for agriculture. A modified version of the guidelines was adopted in 1999. In 2004, the Commission adopted new guidelines, the validity of which was first extended until 9 October 2012(5) and subsequently until their replacement by new rules (6) in line with the reform programme set out in the Commission Communication of 8 May 2012 on EU State aid modernisation.
In that Communication, the Commission announced three objectives in respect of modernising State aid control:
- to foster sustainable, smart and inclusive growth in a competitive internal market;
- to focus Commission ex ante scrutiny on cases with the biggest impact on the internal market while strengthening the cooperation with Member States in State aid enforcement;
- to streamline the rules and provide for faster decisions.
- Guidelines (adopted 09.07.2014) (OJ C 249, 31.07.2014)
- Impact assessment report
- Press Release (IP/14/795, 09.07.2014)
- Policy Brief (09/2014)
- Memo: Frequently Asked Questions (MEMO/14/473, 09.07.2014)
- Draft Supplementary information sheets for notification of rescue and restructuring aid to be granted by Member States after 1 August 2014 under the Guidelines on rescue and restructuring aid of 2014
- Supplementary information sheet on aid for rescuing non-financial undertakings in difficulty: individual aid en
- Supplementary information sheet on aid for restructuring non-financial undertakings in difficulty: individual aid en
- Supplementary information sheet on rescue aid, restructuring aid and/or temporary restructuring support: aid schemes en
- Communication from the Commission concerning the prolongation and the amendments of the Guidelines on Regional State Aid for 2014-2020, Guidelines on State Aid to Promote Risk Finance Investments, Guidelines on State Aid for Environmental Protection and Energy 2014-2020, Guidelines on State aid for rescuing and restructuring non-financial undertakings in difficulty, Communication on the Criteria for the Analysis of the Compatibility with the Internal Market of State Aid to Promote the Execution of Important Projects of Common European Interest, Communication from the Commission - Framework for State aid for research and development and innovation and Communication from the Commission to the Member States on the application of Articles 107 and 108 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union to short-term export-credit insurance - OJ C 224, 8.7.2020, p. 2–4