Competition: State aid
All citizens, organisations and public authorities are welcome to contribute to this consultation.
Period of consultation
From 26.06.2019 to 27.09.2019
Objective of the consultation
The General Block Exemption Regulation (“GBER”) allows Member States to implement a wide range of public support measures without prior notification to the Commission, in areas such as research and development, environmental protection or support to SMEs. This reduces the administrative burden for public authorities and speeds up delivery of public support, including support granted via EU structural funds.
To ensure that national and EU funds can be combined seamlessly under the new Multiannual Financial Framework without undermining competition in the internal market, the Commission aims, with the present targeted review of the GBER, to improve the interplay between EU funding rules and State aid rules and streamline State aid control of national funds, including EU shared management funds, combined with EU programmes managed centrally by the Commission.
To this end, the European Commission has launched the targeted review of the General Block Exemption Regulation (the GBER) which extends the GBER to national funds, including EU shared management funds, combined with EU programmes managed centrally by the Commission in the following three areas:
Financing and investment operations supported by the InvestEU Fund;
RD&I projects having received a Seal of Excellence under Horizon2020 or Horizon Europe as well as co-funded projects independently evaluated and selected following transnational calls under the Horizon Europe programme including under Teaming actions independently evaluated and selected following transnational calls under Horizon 2020 or the Horizon Europe programme;
European Territorial Cooperaion projects (ETC, also called Interreg).
How to submit your contribution
We welcome contributions from citizens, organisations and public authorities.
If you are answering this consultation as a citizen, please click here to submit your contribution.
If you are answering this consultation on behalf of an organisation, please click click here to submit your contribution
If you are answering this consultation on behalf of a public authority, please click here to submit your contribution.
Received contributions will be published on this webpage. Only submissions that are clearly marked "CONFIDENTIAL" (in English, in capital letters) will be treated as such and not published. In that case please also provide a non-confidential version of your reply. It is important to read the privacy statement attached to this consultation for information on how your personal data and contribution will be dealt with.
We would appreciate receiving submissions electronically, as attachments to emails in .doc or .pfd format, in English, French or German. Please see for contact details below.
Please note that we cannot guarantee to take account of replies received after the deadline.
Background note accompanying the first public consultation of the GBER amendment
bg cs da de el en es et fi fr hr hu it lt lv mt nl pl pt ro sk sl sv
Press release en
Directorate-General for Competition – Unit 03
Please always indicate the reference number in your correspondence: HT.5224
Directorate-General for Competition, Unit 03
State aid registry
1049 Bruxelles / Brussel
Ref.: HT 5224
European Investment Bank Group
- Greece - annex
- Slovakia: Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport
- Slovakia: Office of the Deputy Prime Minister of the Slovak Republic for Investments and Informatization
- Slovakia: Government Office of the Slovak Republic
- Slovenia: Ministry of Education, Science and Sport
- Slovenia: Ministry of Public Administration
- Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities (ALFRA)
- Autoridade Nacional de Comunicações (ANACOM)
- Baden-Württemberg: Ministerium für Umwelt, Klima und Energiewirtschaft
- Basque Government: Delegation of the Basque Country to the EU
- Interreg Central Baltic: Regional Council of Southwest Finland
- Interreg Euregio-Meuse-Rhine Programme
- Interreg IPA Romania-Serbia Programme
- Interreg Greece: Hellenic Ministry of Development and Investments
- Interreg MED Programme
- Interreg North-West Europe
- Landkreis Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge
- Landkreis Uelzen
- Landratsamt Schwäbisch Hall
- Małopolska Region
- Região Autónoma da Madeira
- Région Bretagne
- Région Grand Est (INTERREG Rhin supérieur)
- Région Hauts-de-France (Interact Programme)
- Région Occitanie
- Regional government of Catalonia
- Samenwerkingsverband Noord-Nederland (SNN)
- Service public de Wallonie
- Stadt Sonthofen
- Technology Agency of the Czech Republic
- A1 Telekom Austria AG
- AENEAS, ARTEMIS-IA and EPoSS
- Association of German Chambers of Commerce and Industry (DIHK e.V.)
- Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego (BGK)
- Bpifrance and Caisse des Dépôts
- Bulgarian Ports Infrastructure Co. (BPICo)
- Bundesverband Öffentlicher Banken Deutschlands (VÖB)
- Cable Europe
- Cassa depositi e prestiti S.p.A.
- Community of European Railway and Infrastructure Companies (CER)
- European Association of Guarantee Institutions (AECM)
- European Association of Public Banks (EAPB)
- European Association of Research & Technology Organisations (EARTO)
- European Competitive Telecommunications Association (ECTA)
- European Federation of Inland Ports (EFIP)
- European LEADER Association for Rural Development (ELARD)
- European Regions Research and Innovation Network (ERRIN)
- European Sea Ports Organisation (ESPO)
- Ferrovie Dello Stato Italiane (FSI)
- Fratini & Partners
- Interact Programme
- Interact Programme and the Ministry of Investment and Economic Development of Poland
- LAG AktivRegion Uthlande
- LAG Hümmling
- LAG Märkische Seen e.V.
- LEADER-forum Austria
- LEADER-Management der RAG Gotha - Ilm-Kreis - Erfurt e. V.
- Lithuaninan Innovation Centre (LIC)
- Lokal Utveckling Sverige (LUS)
- Malta Development Bank (MDB)
- Masaryk University (MUNI)
- Minha Terra – Federação Portuguesa de Associações de Desenvolvimento Local
- Port of Rotterdam
- Regionalentwicklung Oberallgäu LAG
- University of Cyprus : Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS)
- University of Groningen
- Vlaamse Interuniversitaire Raad (VLIR)
- Zentralverband des Deutschen Handwerks
- ELMESS-Thermosystemtechnik GmbH & Co. KG
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
- Heimatbund Thüringen e.V.
- Interreg Baltic Sea Region
- Interreg CENTRAL EUROPE
- Interreg Danube Transnational Programme
- Interreg France-Wallonie-Vlaanderen
- Irish Universities Association
- Kilkenny LEADER Partnership (KLP)
- LAG Bergaufland Ostallgäu e.V.
- LAG Landkreis Landshut e.V.
- LAG Region Wittgenstein e.V.
- Landkreis Northeim
- RAG Sömmerda-Erfurt e.V.
- Strategic Banking Corporation of Ireland (SBCI)
- West of Scotland European Forum (WOSEF)