Following a public consultation and a thorough revision process, the Commission adopted the first three texts of the new SGEI package on 20 December 2011 in order to define the conditions under which State aid in the form of public service compensation can be considered compatible with the EU rules (Press release, Frequently asked questions).
On 25 April 2012 the Commission adopted, as the final pillar of the package, the de minimis Regulation for the field of SGEI (Press release).
Read more about the package:
- Articles in the Competition Policy Newsletter 2012 – number 1
- DG Competition Powerpoint presentation (de en es fr it)
- Overview table of the changes in the new SGEI package en
- Analysis tree en
The Communication clarifies key concepts related to State aid for SGEIs, while the Decision and the Framework specify the conditions under which State aid in the form of public service compensation is compatible with the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. The de minimis Regulation establishes a threshold below which compensation is deemed no aid. The Decision and Framework are applicable from 31 January 2012. The de minimis Regulation will enter into force on the third day following its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.
- Communication from the Commission on the application of the European Union State aid rules to compensation granted for the provision of services of general economic interest
Official Journal C8, 11.01.2012, p. 4-14
- Commission Decision of 20 December on the application of Article 106(2) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union to State aid in the form of public service compensation granted to certain undertakings entrusted with the operation of services of general economic interest Official Journal L7, 11.01.2012, p. 3-10
- Communication from the Commission, European Union framework for State aid in the form of public service compensation (2011) Official Journal C8, 11.01.2012, p. 15-22
- Commission Regulation (EU) No 360/2012 of 25 April 2012 on the application of Articles 107 and 108 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union to de minimis aid granted to undertakings providing services of general economic interest Official Journal L 114 of 26.4.2012, p. 8
Corrigendum to the Polish version - Official Journal L 290, 04.10.2014, p. 11
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2018/1923 of 7 December 2018 amending Regulation (EU) No 360/2012 as regards its period of application Official Journal L 313 of 10.12.2018, p.
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2020/1474 of 13 October 2020 amending Regulation (EU) No 360/2012 as regards the prolongation of its period of application and a time-bound derogation for undertakings in difficulty to take into account the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic
- The Commission Directive of 16 November 2006 on the transparency of financial relations between Member States and public undertakings as well as on financial transparency within certain undertakings (codified version) continues to be applicable.
- See swap rate proxies for the purpose of the SGEI Decision and SGEI Framework
Guide to the application of the European Union rules on state aid, public procurement and the internal market to services of general economic interest, and in particular to social services of general interest 29.4.2013 SWD(2013) 53 final/2