Competition: State aid
All citizens and organizations are welcome to contribute to this consultation. Contributions are particularly sought from (i) Member States and their aid granting authorities, (ii) companies operating in the European single market, (iii) legal and economic practitioners and scholars, as well as (iv) consumer organisations.
Period of consultation
From 12.11.2020 to 07.01.2021
Objective of the consultation
A Fitness Check on the State aid modernisation package has been carried out. The results of this evaluation, which largely covered the time before the COVID-19 pandemic and the introduction of the twin transition, show that the EEAG and corresponding GBER rules have generally delivered on their objectives. However, it identified certain aspects where the EEAG should be modernised in a way that minimises distortions of trade and competition in the Single Market. Furthermore, the announcement of the Green Deal requires a wider and deeper review of the EEAG, in particular in the two areas mentioned below.
This initiative is guided by the general main objective of coherence with the twin green and digital transformation of the economy. The revision should result in a modernised, simplified, easy to apply and future-proof enabling framework for public authorities to help reaching the EU environmental and energy objectives in a cost effective manner with minimum distortions of competition and trade within the Union. The two main buildings blocks are a review of the compatibility criteria for environmental protection, as well as an assessment of State aid to energy intensive users.
How to submit your contribution
Planned consultation activities for this initiative are:
- Parallel four week consultation to provide feedback on an inception impact assessment and 8 week public consultation to any interested stakeholders on a questionnaire. Stakeholders are invited to submit their responses directly to the questionnaire on the official public consultations page of the European Commission.
- 8 week public consultation to any interested stakeholder on the draft revised EEAG. Stakeholders will be informed of the consultation on the official public consultations page of the European Commission and this website.
Please note that there is also an ongoing wider debate and call for contributions on Competition policy and the Green Deal.
Results of the public consultation
A factual summary of the contributions received as part of the consultation is available here.
Reference documents and other related consultations
- EU Guidelines on State aid for environmental protection and energy 2014-2020 (OJ C200/57 28 June 2014)
- Prolongation and amendments to the Guidelines on State aid for environmental protection and energy 2014-2020 (OJ 224 8 July 2020)
- Fitness Check
- European Green Deal
- Competition policy and the Green Deal
Directorate-General for Competition – Units B2, B3, H2
Please always indicate the reference number in your correspondence: HT.5371, H.5475
Directorate-General for Competition
State Aid Registry
Fax (32-2) 2961154