Evaluation of Regulations 1/2003 and 773/2004
The current framework for the application of EU competition rules is found in Regulation 1/2003. Regulation 1/2003 came into force on 1 May 2004 and replaced the procedural framework for the application of EU competition rules set out in Regulation 17 of 6 February 1962. Regulation 773/2004 set out the procedural framework for the application of Regulation 1/2003 and also came into force on 1 May 2004.
The Commission’s Directorate General for Competition, national competition authorities and other stakeholders have had almost 20 years of practice and experience in the application of Regulation 1/2003 and Regulation 773/2004. The time is therefore ripe to evaluate the procedural framework that the Regulations have created. Such an evaluation is particularly pertinent in light of the digitisation of the economy and the Commission’s priority of creating a Europe that is fit for the digital age.
In order to assist it in its evaluation of Regulation 1/2003 and Regulation 773/2004, the Commission launched an open call for tender for an evaluation support study.
Further information regarding this evaluation process, including on the call for evidence and public consultation, can be found on DG Competition’s Public Consultations page and on the Commission’s Have your Say website.
- Council Regulation (EC) No 1/2003 of 16 December 2002 on the implementation of the rules on competition laid down in Articles 81 and 82 of the Treaty
Official Journal L 1, 04.01.2003, p.1-25
- Council Regulation (EC) No 411/2004 of 26 February 2004 repealing Regulation (EEC) No 3975/87 and amending Regulations (EEC) No 3976/87 and (EC) No 1/2003, in connection with air transport between the Community and third countries
Official Journal L 68, 06.03.2004, p. 1-2
- Council Regulation (EC) No 1419/2006 of 25 September 2006 repealing Regulation (EEC) No 4056/86 laying down detailed rules for the application of Articles 85 and 86 of the Treaty to maritime transport, and amending Regulation (EC) No 1/2003 as regards the extension of its scope to include cabotage and international tramp services (Text with EEA relevance)
Official Journal L 269, 28.9.2006, p. 1–3
- Commission Regulation (EC) No 773/2004 of 7 April 2004 relating to the conduct of proceedings by the Commission pursuant to Articles 81 and 82 of the EC Treaty
Official Journal L 123, 27.04.2004, p. 18-24
- The consolidated version of Regulation 773/2004 can be found here.
Ten Years of Antitrust Enforcement under Regulation 1/2003: Achievements and Future Perspectives
- Communication from the Commission - Ten Years of Antitrust Enforcement under Regulation 1/2003: Achievements and Future Perspectives (COM(2014) 453, 9.7.2014)
- Commission Staff Working Document SWD (2014) 230 - Ten Years of Antitrust Enforcement under Regulation 1/2003 (SWD(2014) 230/2, 9.7.2014)
- Commission Staff Working Document SWD (2014) 231 - Enhancing competition enforcement by the Member States' competition authorities: institutional and procedural issues (SWD(2014) 231/2, 9.7.2014)
Report on Regulation 1/2003 pursuant to Art. 44 of the Regulation
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council, Report on the functioning of Regulation 1/2003 (COM(2009) 206 final, 29.4.2009)
- Commission Staff Working Paper accompanying the Report on the functioning of Regulation 1/2003 (SEC(2009) 574 final, 29.4.2009)
- Press release IP/09/683: Commission adopts report on functioning of key antitrust Regulation